Welcome to the Standards Toolbox, a multi-faceted resource developed to support Forum members by providing examples of best practices, and access to proprietary resources developed by the Forum on Education Abroad for use by its members. The Standards Toolbox is also the place where the Forum posts communications to its members, such as drafts of documents reserved for member comment, and acts as the portal to the Forum's Ethics Corner discussions.
This section of the Toolbox is designed to help members implement the Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad at their institutions by offering examples of the Standards in practice. Colleges, universities, providers, associations, and other members have contributed these documents to serve as models for institutions engaged in self-study or organizational planning. Each example included in the Toolbox has been reviewed and approved by members of the Forum's Standards Committee and the various Standards Committee Working Groups. The Standards Toolbox also contains: links to more general resources, as references to help members develop their own practices.
This bibliography provides resources more broadly related to best practices in education abroad. The Forum offers its sincere thanks to David Comp for developing this resource.
Resources for the Code of Ethics for Education Abroad and the Standards of Good Practice for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs
This section of the Toolbox is designed to help members implement the Code of Ethics for Education Abroad and the Standards of Good Practice for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs at their institutions by offering examples of the Code and the Short-Term Standards in practice. Colleges, universities, providers, associations, and other members have contributed these documents to serve as models for institutions engaged in self-study or organizational planning. Each example included in the Toolbox has been reviewed and approved by members of the Forum's Standards Committee and the various Standards Committee Working Groups. The Standards Toolbox also contains: links to more general resources, as references to help members develop their own practices.
Additional Member Resources
NEW 8/13/14 FOR MEMBER REVIEW: DRAFT Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad, 5th edition
Advocacy Resources and Initiatives
- 2013 Violence Against Women Act and Changes to the Clery Act & Title IX Compliance (NACUA)
- Defining the Credit Hour for Title IV Federal Financial Aid Purposes
- Federal Disability Laws: Do They Translate to Study Abroad? (NACUA)
- Research Report: Gender Bias and Salaries in Education Abroad
- Using Title IV Federal Financial Aid for Study Abroad
- The Clery Act and Overseas/Distance Study: New Developments and Compliance Guidance (NACUA)
- Using Post-9/11 GI Benefits for Study Abroad
- Update: The Impact of the New U.S. Federal Financial Aid Regulations on Study Abroad
- Update: Cuba
- Strategies for Education Abroad Advocacy on Campuses (January 2010)
Archived Webinar Discussions
- Sharing Responses and Plans for Education Abroad Programs in Japan (March 18, 2011): webinar and powerpoint
- Japan Member Webinar
- Lessons Learned During the Crisis in Egypt (length: 1 hour, 5 minutes; February 11, 2011): This link leads to two resources: the full webinar or an audio-only file of the webinar.
Critical Incident Database
Data Sets from Surveys
- Forum E-Learning and Education Abroad Survey Results (Public Report)
- Forum E-Learning and Education Abroad Survey Results (Full Report Available to Forum Members)
- Forum IIE Snapshot Survey Fall 2011 Data Set
- Forum State of the Field Survey 2009 Data Set
- Forum State of the Field Survey 2008 Data Set
- Forum Pathways Survey 2008 - Data Set
- Voice and Screen Recording of Program Management Survey Results Webinar, October 2007 (length: 1 hour+)
Expanding Education Abroad Capacity
- Constructing Effective U.S. - Brazilian Partnerships - Forum FAUBAI (Association of Brazilian Higher Education Institutions, Offices for International Relations) Report (2013)
- Expanding U.S. Study Abroad to Brazil: A Guide for Institutions
- Expanding U.S. Study Abroad to India: A Guide for Institutions
- Report on Attending the India-U.S. Higher Education Dialogue from Forum President and CEO, Brian Whalen (public report, June 25, 2013)
- ForumEA - DRAFT Guidelines for VIEW Programs 2013
- ForumEA - Guidelines for Health Programs Abroad 2013
- ForumEA - Guidelines for Language Learning Abroad - 2013
- ForumEA - Guidelines for Undergraduate Research Abroad 2013
- ForumEA - Guidelines for School of Record Relationships 2011
- ForumEA - Guidelines for Home Institution Academic Advising for Education Abroad - 2010
- ForumEA - Guidelines for On-Site Academic Advising for Education Abroad - 2010
- ForumEA - Guidelines for Institutional Relations and Marketing Education Abroad on Campuses - 2010
Membership Logo Graphic Identity Program
Resources for the Forum's Code of Ethics for Education Abroad
- Talking Points for the Forum's Code of Ethics for Education Abroad (March 2008)
- Timeline of the Forum's Development of the Code of Ethics (July 2008)
- Update on Meeting with NY and CT Attorneys General (February 2008)
Special Communications with Members
- Memo to Forum Members on Changes to U.S. Federal Financial Aid Regulations and the Impact on Study Abroad
- Special Communication to Forum Members (October 29, 2008): the Global Financial Crisis and Education Abroad
- Responding to the Media Scrutiny of Study Abroad (Updated 9/28/07)
Tools for Assessment
- Outcomes Assessment Toolbox!
- Better Student Questionnaires = Better Programs: Designing Effective Program Assessments (January 2010)
- Resources for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs
Materials maintained in the Standards Toolbox do not constitute legal advice. Each user of these materials should verify the information for current accuracy and affirmatively examine issues addressed by the materials in light of their own interpretation of federal, state and local laws, as well as applicable institutional policies.
Permissible Use Policy
The Standards Toolbox is accessible only to Forum on Education Abroad members through the Forum's website. Forum members are authorized to adapt and use the resources found herein, in whole or in part, as part of the development and evaluation of programs at their institutions and MUST include attribution to the original source of the materials. Forum members are asked not to affirmatively distribute these materials to persons other than faculty, staff and students of their institutions, or to other Forum members.
Contributing to the Toolbox
The Toolbox is a continuously evolving resource. Please help us to keep this the most authoritative resource for best practices in the field. If you have documents that illustrate a standard or query, please submit them for consideration by sending them to email@example.com, along with your contact information. Your organization's documents will be reviewed by the Standards Committee, and if they are approved for posting, you will be asked to sign a release form.
The Forum wishes to thank David Comp of the University of Chicago and the members of the Standards Committee for their hard work in developing the Toolbox.
Interested in becoming a member? Learn more here.